Reasons for simulation of machines, plants and robots
Shorter production times, tightened pressure on costs and deadlines, increasing variant diversity, decreasing lot sizes and thereof resulting changeover times... Companies in many industrial sectors are facing the challenge of keeping their machines, plants and robots efficient despite various and ever-growing requirements.
Many manufacturers and users therefore rely on the advantages of 3D simulation and the digitalization and crosslinking of their systems ("integrated engineering"):
- A plant manufacturer for example, designs a virtual plant by using real construction data. He tests its functional capability also with regard to its connectivity to superior control systems before the real plant is built and delivered. Thus, risks in project management and during commissioningat the client's premises are reduced significantly.
- A machine user takes advantages of an ongoing CAD/CAM-CNC process chain and tests on his virtual machine whether e.g. NC programs work collission-free or how long it takes to finish a work piece on the real machine under certain circumstances. Thus, machine downtimes caused by necessary, partially risky tests are avoided.
Especially fast processes in the fields of machine / plant production and robot technology pose high demands on the simulation of automation systems if the simulation is meant to replicate the behavior of a real machine without any restrictions. Here, many simulation systems reach their limits.
ISG-virtuos' software design is specialized on realtime applications and enables the hardware in the loop simulation (HILS) of automation systems in hard realtime ("control realtime" (<1ms)):
* Virtual commissioning of real controls (CNC/ PLC/ MC/ RC)
* Unlimited commissioning and factory acceptance test
* Physics-based material flow
* Integrated engineering
Find some use cases here.
Simulation-based engineering with ISG-virtuos
ISG-virtuos users are control and drive manufacturers, machine and plant manufacturers as well as machine and plant users. They mainly use ISG-virtuos for virtually commissioning their systems.
The integrated use of ISG-virtuos throughout the whole value added chain („simulation-based engineering“) enables a considerably higher software quality in a shorter time with equal man power. ISG-virtuos can support in many ways:
Concept and development, Product and performance optimization, Commissioning
Using original engineering data, the requirements of all involved parties (e.g. client or different company departments) are from the very beginning developed, tested and optimized on the virtual system. Real control and fieldbusses are used. Existing CAD data and electrical configurations are directly imported. During the virtual commissioning, the virtual system is put into operation and in terms of a virtual factory acceptance test (FAT) approved. Then, the accepted control functionality is directly transferred on the real system. Thanks to the software design specialized on control realtime, this transfer is effected without any further adjustments. The real system is then ready for production without further rectification work.
Production monitoring, service and support
During production the virtual system is used as a shadow system: Optimizations of production processes, retrofittings and staff / client trainings can be prepared, tested and effected without disturbing the running real system. The virtual system is also used for service and support (remote maintenance etc.).